open text

08 July 2005 at 16:09

homecoming

Soon after we entered the territorial waters of the UnHeard of & McDonald Islands, my sadness at leaving Sydney after the conference was suddenly forgotten, as a boatload of islanders rowed out to meet us. My old mate Cap'n Kev was standing in the bow, smiling and waving aloft a copy of that morning's UnHeard Herald. Through binoculars I could just make out the headline - "ROBMCJ'S SYDNEY TRIUMPH"

What followed was a full island welcome ceremony, as the traditional dolphin was clubbed and later barbecued on the beach. Even the buddhist hermit came down from his cave to share in the excitement.

As the ukulele orchestra played, the most moving moment for me came when I was presented, in recognition of my achievement at the Sydney conference, with a specially designed template for this blog, incorporating some indigenous islander design work as you can see at the top right.

As the speeches and generous tributes continued into the night, I hadn't the heart to explain what had really happened in Sydney.



What really happened in Sydney was that, due to an oversight, my paper had been omitted from the conference timetable!

Displaying the ingenuity for which we islanders are famous, I arranged an 'ad hoc' (as we academics say) presentation in an empty lecture theatre during the lunch break. Using an empty room worked out well, and without the inconvenience of audience questions there was still time to catch a bite of lunch into the bargain.

Blogger Hotboy said...

The empty lecture theatre, I think, speaks to us all. A famous book about the 3rd Reich called the Tin Drum had a bit about that old existentialist question: Is is better to be in the audience or on the platform. Your audience seems to have answered this. I hope this helps. Was this a nihilist joke? I hope not.Hotboy  

~

Blogger Hotboy said...

Definitely got a problem with some of those photies. Why is that man hitting the fish? Hotboy  

~

Blogger Hotboy said...

A great wave of happiness has swept into the cave. One or two penguins have donned ra bliss jumpers. Soon we'll all be young again and heal in seconds! Hotboy  

~

Blogger onan the bavarian said...

hotboy: I'm told my sense of humour is an acquired taste, and I've yet to meet an islander who has acquired it, but it used to go down quite well in the old Reich.

Is a bliss jumper another of your meditational devices, like the jug breathing and the superheated bliss? A devotional garment perhaps?  

~

Blogger onan the bavarian said...

hotbot - I remember now, I'm supposed to be selling these things. I think the penguins may have shoplifted theirs.  

~

Post a Comment




Who Links Here
Who Links Here (short form)

Where people click from:
Locations of visitors to this page