open text

25 July 2006 at 08:46

I could have sworn I used to have some problems

After a day and an evening of teaching yesterday at the McDonald Island Institute, powered by much tea and little food, today I'm too clapped out to do anything useful. I've been reading Raising Yousuf, a blog by a woman from Gaza. One interesting post dates from her visit to America:

When I thanked Peter for welcoming us [to Connecticut] he joked that Americans needed Palestinians to liberate them “from the Israeli occupation of the U.S.”





Many years ago, in the days before email, my friend hotboy wrote me a letter, signing off with the words "May all your problems be tiny little non-existent ones." I've just realised, it's come true - my problems are insignificant compared with most people's. Even compared with hotboy's. What a fortunate creature I am!





Google returns exactly one entry for "McDonald Island Institute", so my employer almost qualifies as a GoogleWhack. According to the rules, a Googlewhack is any pair of words that returns a single Google result. Of course, now that I've mentioned "McDonald Island Institute" here, Google will include this post and return 2 results. Doh!





I've given up trying to work around the IE bug that sometimes hides the bottom half of this web page. But I'm in good company - even Microsoft have given up trying to fix IE version 6, and are now counting on the upcoming IE v 7.

Till then, doing a RestoreDown/Maximize will bypass this problem whenever it occurs in IE.

Thanks for your patience. Or you could upgrade to Firefox. You'd never go back to IE.

Blogger Hotboy said...

Adolf! Heil! I've got a problem with this bug thing and the E1 stuff and the firefox. I've no idea what it all means. Is this a problem? If I'm the only one who has it that would be a big help! Hotboy  

~

Blogger keda said...

so so true... update to firefox and you never go back! now there's an ad worth reading ;)  

~

Blogger Lee Ann said...

Hey, just stopping in to say hi to one of my favorite Scotsmen before going to bed.
~xo  

~

Blogger onan the bavarian said...

HB - it's hard to know where to begin.

keda - I've been hoping that the sidebar problem you encountered a while back has not returned.

LA - one of? ;)  

~

Blogger zomba said...

I say!

Hotboy should ask any passing eight-year-old for technological advice. I've tried to advise him in the past, but its rather a losing cause.

Personally, I'm not so keen on Firefox. It seems to crash Acrobat, and some nice things available via IE don't work. That said, it has some other features.

My, my, this is a technical comment.

MM III  

~

Blogger Hotboy said...

Adolf! Zeig! I'm coming down to the Unheard of Island for the last two weeks of my holidays. The Narcissistic Personality Disorder est moi! Also, I am completely useless, know the meaning of no acronyms, and don't understand anything except quack quack. But I hope to arrive with my bad attitude and one or two guns tomorrow. Look forward to a list of my demands. Nothing can help you now! Hotboy  

~

Blogger T - Another Geek Girl said...

I use both mozilla and IE.

You seem to have a good handle on life doll. Problems can seem overwhelming at times, but a man of wisdom and intelligence can see beyond himself and appreciate the gifts he has been given. I admire that in you so much. That and your adorable humor. What would life be without it?  

~

Anonymous Anonymous said...

that's funny! i thought you fixed that problem for a while but it came back.

i have ff but it never works!

maybe something about the automatic wi-fi detection, any suggestions?  

~

Blogger onan the bavarian said...

RR - yes, the problem had fixed itself. Now it's unfixed itself. Don't know what to suggest re FF.  

~

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very pretty site! Keep working. thnx!
»  

~

Post a Comment




Who Links Here
Who Links Here (short form)

Where people click from:
Locations of visitors to this page