open text

10 June 2005 at 13:09

angel of the 80s

Angie, the angel of my 1980s, spent 5 years with me, longer than anyone else had ever been able to stand.

When we met, she was a windsurfing nurse living in London, and I was a postgrad student in Glasgow. Whenever possible I would wangle a university travel grant for research (windsurfing) in England, and we would drive to Ronnie Scott's in her 2CV.

The following year, I succeeded in coaxing Angie up to Scotland to live. She was crestfallen when the palm trees that I'd promised her turned out to be a few stunted specimens at the southerly tip of Arran, but by then there was no going back. The poor woman never recovered from the disappointment - she had envisaged something more balmy, like our first trip to the UnHeard Of and McDonald Islands.



After a year together in Scotland, we decided to call it a day. But then just a week before our planned drive to Heathrow for her plane to a new life in Sydney, I got the Big F'ing C and checked into hospital, but that's another story. Angie cashed in her air ticket, bless her. We stayed together for another 4 years, spending the odd evening at the Glasgow Buddhist Centre, where the next photo was taken.



There are more pictures of Angie in London soon after we met, and four years later in Greece. And there's another shot of Angie with Seb against the buddha wall.

Blogger Hotboy said...

I met her once. I might have met her twice. Was she big and strong? Pretending you were dying just before she went away ... and that turning up at the other one's wedding. Is there a pattern developing here? I think not. Do you have any photies of her in a nazi uniform? Hotboy.  

~

Blogger onan the bavarian said...

Good point. But could you share your expert karmic opinion on the buddhist angle?  

~

Blogger Hotboy said...

Hmmm?
She looked big and strong and could have carried you around when you're old and feeble. Karmically neutral, but basically you blew it again if you want to know my worthless opinion. Hotboy  

~

Blogger onan the bavarian said...

Over the years I have indeed developed a certain expertise in blowing it. Thanks for pointing it out.  

~

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Blogger I was just browsing the net looking for stuff on surfing and came across your site. Although I enjoyed visiting angel of the 80s it is not really what I'm looking for, but if ever you are looking for some great windsurfing gear, then please visit our site.  

~

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Searching for info on windsurf t-shirts can be tedious, but posts like yours help to energize me and keep me looking. Even though angel of the 80s is not an exact match for windsurf t-shirts, I'll continue browsing, and hope to find more gems like this.  

~

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Searching for info on surfer t-shirts can be tedious, but posts like yours help to energize me and keep me looking. Even though angel of the 80s is not an exact match for surfer t-shirts, I'll continue browsing, and hope to find more gems like this.  

~

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Searching for info on surfing can be tedious, but posts like yours help to energize me and keep me looking. Even though angel of the 80s is not an exact match for surfing, I'll continue browsing, and hope to find more gems like this.  

~

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Blogger There I was just cruising the web looking for info on windsurfing stuff and I happened upon your site. It looks like you have put a lot of work into angel of the 80s and congratulations, but I'm really looking for info on windsurfing.  

~

Post a Comment




Who Links Here
Who Links Here (short form)

Where people click from:
Locations of visitors to this page