open text

06 September 2005 at 16:54

tagged with the musical meme

I was tagged a while ago by Heather, with an approximation of this Musical Meme : List ten songs or albums that you are currently enjoying. It doesn't matter what genre they are from, whether they have words, or even if they're no good but they must be songs/albums you're really enjoying right now. Post these instructions, the artists, and the ten songs in your blog. Explaining your choices is optional. Then tag five other random people to see what they're listening to.

1. Positively 4th street
Artist: Dylan.
I'm not a huge fan of Dylan, but even so, songs like this take me back to the summer when I bought a transistor radio with my pocket money. and what a magical sound Dylan made.

2. Familiar to Millions
Artist: Oasis.
Most people went off Oasis when they went over the top, using a heavy guitar wall of sound, but that's precisely when I started to like their sneering tunes. And their postmodern recycling of their influences (e.g Lennon, the Kinks).

3. All Along the Watchtower
Artist: Hendrix
Need I say more?

4. The Rotters Club
Artist: Hatfield and the North.
Like Mahler symphonies, this English 70s jazz fusion with silly humour is the sort of music you have to listen to for years before you even start to like it. But by that time it's in your blood.

5. Voices
Artist: Roger Eno (Brian's brother).
This CD of piano pieces, some quite Satie-esque, makes new age music respectable.

6. The Land of Grey and Pink
Artist: Caravan
Decades ago, the only blind date I have ever had was set up by hotboy. He knew a lass from the Caribbean who had just broken up with someone. Through hotboy she invited me for dinner at her place. She wined me and dined me, and afterwards she played this album. She was surprised to hear I couldn't stand the music: I found it weak and wimpish. The magic didn't happen between her and me, and I never saw her again, but I heard this music again and grew to love it. I sometimes wish I could meet her, just to say "you were right."

7. Haydn piano sonatas 1 to 60
Artist: Jeno Jando
Most people have probably heard some of the well-known sonatas by Beethoven. But to me they are often brash and repetitive. Haydn's sonatas would be just as famous, if only he had had the commercial sense to put in some catchy tunes. Instead, his piano music is full of surprises, playful twists and turns, the sound of happiness. Five minutes after listening, you cannot remember a single note, but so what?

8. Take 5 (the long version)
Artist: Dave Brubeck Quartet.
I listen to loads of American and British jazz, but I'm mentioning this because it's well-known. Like Haydn, it's full of the sort of energy that takes your heart by surprise and lifts it up high. At the time this recording was made, the unusual time signature was revolutionary. The cut-down version of Take Five (like the cut-down version of The Doors' Light My Fire) is a swindle. It leaves out the best bit - Joe Morello's inspired drum solo over repeated piano chords. I almost forgot to mention Paul Desmond's beautiful sound on alto.

9. The Very Best Of
Artist: Supertramp
Mention this band and most people pull a face. "All those girly high voices!" The same people think Queen were good, despite their campy falsettos. I predict that Supertramp will be the next band to be rehabilitated. As happened with ABBA, rock stars from Elvis Costello to Bono will be falling over themselves to say how much they always admired this music.

10: The Black President
Artist: Fela Kuti
Of course there's a huge amount of wonderful music that comes out of Africa. I saw Fela Kuti play in Toronto many years ago, and it's perhaps the only time I've had to walk out of a concert because it was too good. After about 90 minutes of his eerie full-on music, I was wishing he would play something boring to give us a break. I couldn't take any more.




I'll be tagging as many people as possible. If you don't want to wait till then, tag yourself!

Tagged so far: hotboy, lee ann, blake

Blogger Lee Ann said...

Supertramp....OMG! I love "Breakfast in America"  

~

Blogger onan the bavarian said...

You must have read the whole post. Well done you.

"Breakfast" is the best, isn't it? Pure happiness. Crime Of the Century was a bit more moody, I like that too.  

~

Blogger Currently Alec McClochendichter said...

How come heather keeps changing her photo?  

~

Blogger onan the bavarian said...

I should point out that comment is by a different Heather. Brilliant! This blog's second Heather. It's almost like being back in Scotland.  

~

Blogger Hotboy said...

Adolf! I don't remember setting you up with a blind date. Did you wear your kilt? The one woman I know from the Carribbean is totally rich and lives in St Lucia. What happened to Wishbone Ash? Didn't that used to wake you up in the morning? Hope this helps. Hotboy  

~

Blogger zomba said...

I'd just like to add one performer to your list...well...perhaps two.

The first is Daniel Kachamba. 'Dr' played a mean guitar.

The second is a band - the Chimvu River Jazz Band. Fast beat, great dancing. They even got my feet tapping.

That reminds me of the time I took the 'Dr' over to Chingwe's Hole. He took his guitar, and we shared a few Greens together as the sun went down, before heading back to the Kuchawe (the original Kuchawe, that is).

Nice memories.

MM III  

~

Blogger onan the bavarian said...

Hotboy. That's the person I'm talking about. You say she's fabulously rich now. So it's even more important that I tell her she was right about Caravan. I hope it's not too late.

Heather II. Thanks for explaining, now I need to know what a gpa is.  

~

Blogger Heather said...

So Am I Heather #1 or #2? And which would be better? 2 is more than 1...but no one wants to come in a close second....oooh! the indecision.

Like your music selection. I must say that I have been so ga ga over Brian that I have neglected Roger. Is he as odd?

Breakfast in America ROCKS by the way.  

~

Blogger onan the bavarian said...

Heather.
No. 1 of course. I have forgiven you for pulling the rug out from under your template, just when I was settling into those cushions.

No, he's more spacey. Doesn't sing as far as I know.

Heather 2. No offence. H#1 was here first.  

~

Post a Comment




Who Links Here
Who Links Here (short form)

Where people click from:
Locations of visitors to this page