open text

09 March 2006 at 20:09

HNT - flying by the seat of my pants

Recently, somebody (perhaps Lee Ann) was blogging about being talked into taking a flight in a small plane. The safety record of small planes is not inspiring.

It reminded me of the first time I visited Australia, when I met a guy who asked me to spend the weekend at his family's farm. It turned out the farm was about 500 miles away, and he was going to fly us there in his 4-seater plane. His wife and kid sat in the back seats, so I had to sit in the co-pilot seat.

Once we were airborne, he asked if I had ever flown a plane. I said no, but I had used Microsoft flight simulator. "That's good enough" he said, and insisted I take over the controls while he poured us a cup of tea. I had heard that Aussies were a very casual breed, but this was ridiculous. After the tea, he read the newspaper, and refused to take back command until about half an hour before landing. What a thrill! That could never have happened in Scotland, or if it did we'd have ended up in jail for breaking dozens of laws, and hairdressing offences.



If you missed previous HNTs, you can access all the old half naked posts here.

HNT_1

Blogger kimmyk said...

COOL pic!

How tight were you gripping the wheel? I'd be white knuckled and my fingers would be cramping if someone asked me to do that. LOL!

What a rush!  

~

Blogger Lelly said...

Great story! (Hairdressing offences???!) HHNT!  

~

Blogger lime said...

WOW!!!! Great story to go with that shot. i'm sure i'd have been white knuckled! happy HNT!  

~

Blogger OLY said...

Us Aussies are a good mob.. :)
Happy HNT!  

~

Blogger Leesa said...

What a thrill! HHNT!  

~

Blogger Hotboy said...

Adolf! Zeog! Great photie! I see you have an earplug in. Good idea. The last photie on HNT seemed to have a penis sticking out of that earhole. Did you get it surgically removed or did someone buy it off you? Good trick though not much help in the end! Hotboy  

~

Blogger Lee Ann said...

Rob, that is a spectacular story. I know it is great memories for you. You look so awesome sitting in the co-pilot seat. What a rush!
Happy HNT!  

~

Blogger Aisha T. said...

YIKES! Cool pic but makes me think twice when I step onto one of those little planes!  

~

Blogger MamaKBear said...

Wow! I'd have probably crashed!

Happy HNT! :)  

~

Blogger zomba said...

I say!

The person who said "I am afraid the war will end very soon now, but I suppose all good things come to an end sooner or later, so we musn't grumble." was Captain (later Field Marshal) Earl Alexander, 1917, in a letter home to his mother.

Where were we? Mrs M mixed a rather strong MGT tonight, and I have lost the track, so to speak.

Ah yes - four seaters. What a wonderful experience you must have had flying over the outback. It looks dark outside the cabin in your snap. When did this happen? Were you visiting Carslemane out at Daly Waters, or was he still resident in Zambia at that time?

I once enjoyed a flight round Arthurs Seat, in good old Edinburgh, in a trainer. Felt like being in an airborne Volkswagon.

MM III  

~

Blogger onan the bavarian said...

MM - I had a holiday job as a bounty-hunter. There was a rumour that Spud was hiding out down at Albany after the incident with the autoteller in Perth.

So when I got the offer of the lift from Perth, I jumped at it. I didn't see Spud, but my second flying lesson on the way home involved night flying on instruments.  

~

Blogger onan the bavarian said...

G'day Menzies. The grass in your garden looks like the lawns here in UnHeardovia, drier than a dead dingo's oxter.

Re the flight in the 4-seater. I had a holiday job as a bounty-hunter. There was a rumour that Spud was hiding out down at Albany after the incident with the autoteller in Perth.

So when I got the offer of the jaunt from Perth, I jumped at it. I didn't see Spud, but my second flying lesson on the way home involved night flying on instruments.  

~

Post a Comment




Who Links Here
Who Links Here (short form)

Where people click from:
Locations of visitors to this page