open text

31 March 2006 at 12:53

ivor cutler

Last month the Glasgow poet and singer Ivor Cutler died. One of a kind, he used to go up to people in the streets and give them self-adhesive labels bearing his words.

For example:

"To remove this label, take it off"

or, more seriously:

"Imperfection is an end, perfection is merely an aim"

Blogger zomba said...

I say!

Ivor has passed on. How very sad. Enjoyed his output on many occasions. I wonder if he received air miles for his final trip.

On another, completely unrelated matter, but one which was occupying my mind prior to visiting Open Text, can you tell me what this blog. is about?

MM III  

~

Blogger Lee Ann said...

Sorry to hear that. He sounds like he was a very intriguing person.  

~

Blogger onan the bavarian said...

LA - yes, he brought a little happiness to many people.

MM - that blog makes me feel quite normal in comparison. I'll show it to my semiotic colleagues at the institiute.  

~

Blogger keda said...

ooh no. he was a lovely man.

i have quite a cutler collection, and he has made me giggle for many years.

'if your breast are too big you will fall over. unless you wear a rucksack.' is the shortest that i know but far from the most brilliant.

can you tell me where to find the one about pouring whitewash over people from an upstairs window in order to make new friends. or even the one about feeling the bumps on your head? i've misplaced them.

the lovely man will be sorely missed.  

~

Blogger onan the bavarian said...

keda - Ivor passed (get it?) your question on to someone who knows more than I do re Ivor.  

~

Post a Comment




Who Links Here
Who Links Here (short form)

Where people click from:
Locations of visitors to this page