open text

01 May 2006 at 13:17

cultural parallelism

Isn't it interesting how, over the centuries, different cultures sometimes come up with the same inventions, but usually with a different angle? For instance, it was common for Western kids to play with a yoyo, where you hold the string and the reel travels up an down. In China, you can buy a Chinese yoyo, which moves too, but in a completely different way, and it's just a roll of paper wound around a stick.

Anyway, a while back I blogged about Spud's brother, Usuff, who has a dark room where he photographs geometric patterns, using a camera and a torch on 2 swinging pendulums.

This was one of the pictures he made.

Well, now he's branching out. He's bought a traditional Middle Eastern low-tech device, that does the same sort of pattern but using relief instead of colour. The pattern is made by a heavy pendulum scratching through a swinging plate full of sand.





When I showed this to Cap'n Kev, a connoisseur of all things Middle Eastern, he said "ah reckon them Islamics coulda taught us a thing 'r two."

Meanwhile, after the last post, hotboy quite rightly warned me of the folly of wasting your fluids over age 50. I must remember that when I turn 50. And on further reading of the research, I see that the cancer-protecting effect only applies to activity before age 30. And only solo activity qualifies. Did I put in enough effort at that age? I can't remember. The retention deficit disorder's kicking in again.

Blogger Lelly said...

That photo and the device are both really unusual and beautiful...what interesting friends you have, Rob!  

~

Blogger Hotboy said...

Adolf! Heil! That pendulum thing is a lot of old ... why don't these people get proper jobs? That would help! Hotboy  

~

Blogger Lee Ann said...

I used to play with a yoyo when I was a child. It was fun.
That picture of the pendulum thing drawing in the sand is soooooo cool. I want one!  

~

Blogger onan the bavarian said...

Lell - I have a total of 2 friends in the entire southern hemisphere, and I see them a couple of times a year. If I needed friends I could jump on a plane to Glasgow.

HB - what about all the carpetmakers?

Neo, glad you liked it as much as I did.

LA - I'm going to try making one, I'll let you know how I go.

Carse - Hotboy says that's fine but he should retain the fluid.  

~

Blogger keda said...

well as long as spud is under 30 he's doing a good thing!

and rob darling, i have NO doubt that you put in enough effort. everyone does until they reasch their 30's don't they?

amazing pictures. it must be so beautiful to watch.  

~

Blogger onan the bavarian said...

Damn! The beautiful gizmo picture I linked to has been taken down. Sorry.  

~

Blogger onan the bavarian said...

Found some new pics and linked them in.  

~

Post a Comment




Who Links Here
Who Links Here (short form)

Where people click from:
Locations of visitors to this page