open text

02 November 2006 at 21:50

HNT medals

My grandfather was born on the right side of the tracks, but fought on the wrong side in World War 1. I recently inherited his service medals, which I'm wearing in this photo, pinned to my birthday suit.



When my mother was a schoolgirl in Germany during World War 2, schoolkids were taught a macabre version of "show and tell". The teacher encouraged them to rat on their parents, and my mother stood up and proudly told the class that her father had been listening to BBC on the radio.

That night, my grandfather was taken away for interrogation. Things were looking bad, especially as he was, how can I put it, not racially pure. He was finally released when he shamed his captors by showing them his medals from the previous war.

It just goes to show, you should never throw anything away. I'm keeping the medals in case these islands are ever invaded by fascists.

The story came sort of full circle during my own childhood, years later in Scotland. My mother went out to the BBC studios one evening, while the rest of our family gathered round the radio set, to listen to my mother being interviewed on the BBC, about her experiences as a German living in Scotland.





This is a freelance Taoist blog.
Every true story contains a wee lie.
And every lie contains a grain of truth.


HNT_1

If you missed previous HNTs, you can access all the old half baked thursday posts here.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

my eyebrows are way up, now. A tale both interesting and frightening.
HHNT, and ouch, if they're pinned to your flesh!  

~

Blogger Polt said...

Cool, medals. I love historical stuff like that.

Frightening story, though....

HAPPY HNT nonetheless!  

~

Blogger Hotboy said...

Adolf! Heil! Your grandaddy must have given your maw a good spanking for grassing. Learned her lesson, eh? She never grassed on me for keeping her in the hut! That was a help! Hotboy p.s. What are names of the medals?  

~

Blogger Suze said...

Great post and very thought provoking. Btw, I do hope that you stuck those to you with tape.

Happy HNT sweetie ;)  

~

Blogger Brown eyed girl said...

Wonderful medals sweetie!
Happy HNT!
~xo  

~

Blogger Wenchy said...

Great writing and pic.

Happy HNT  

~

Blogger zomba said...

I say!

Was it not painful when you pinned those medals to the top of your head?

MM III  

~

Blogger Sexy Duet said...

What a great post, very interesting. Happy HNT!!!

Ms SD  

~

Blogger onan the bavarian said...

Hotboy - you were asking about the names of those medals - very long words you wouldn't want to try saying, even with your teeth in. You could try practicing on something a bit easier, like "Hefeweissbier"  

~

Blogger keda said...

very cool scary story and hmmm.... more flesh than we've seen for a while beneath those medals :)

happy late hnt babe.  

~

Blogger Polyman3 said...

I have my dads medals from that war. It was a scary time then as it is now.  

~

Blogger zomba said...

I say!

Did the acupuncture work?

MM III  

~

Blogger Asif Iqbal said...

Hi there

I found my way here whle Googling Lachie Robertson who was on of my teachers and House master at The Glasgow Academy back in the 70s and early 80s

Hope everything goes right with you  

~

Blogger onan the bavarian said...

mm - I have given up beer, so maybe the acupuncture did help. I'm on wine now.

asif - nice to know Lachie Robertson was on still on the go as recently as the early 80s. Hope your memories are good ones.  

~

Blogger Lil Bit said...

Oh, COOL!! - ... and that is now gonna be your mask for my lil party! ;)

ok, since the names are too hard to pronounce, can ya at least tell us what each medal was for or what they signify? =)

happy belated HNT!  

~

Blogger onan the bavarian said...

lil - Thanks for visiting the war memorial post. No idea what the medals are called, but I suspect they're for long service.  

~

Post a Comment




Who Links Here
Who Links Here (short form)

Where people click from:
Locations of visitors to this page