open text

31 January 2007 at 07:05

news

I haven't quite lost the will to blog, but have been distracted by work and mind-sapping heat. Also, visiting blogpals, supporting sick and stressed friends via email, and keeping up with mind-boggling world news.

For example, according to the Sydney Morning Herald, the US wants the world's scientists to develop technology to block sunlight as a last-ditch way to halt global warming.

Possible techniques include putting a giant screen into orbit, thousands of tiny, shiny balloons, or microscopic sulfate droplets pumped into the high atmosphere.



After the overthrow of Saddam Hussein, the UN entrusted $20 billion of "frozen" Iraqi money to the US/British Coalition, to spend on reconstruction. Where has the money gone?

According to a British TV documentary, some U.S. companies in Iraq billed for work they hadn't done and charged a 1000% mark up for their expenses. Meanwhile, according to the United States' own figures, Iraq's essential services are worse than before the war.



Now for the good news. In a recent interview with the Daily Telegraph, the Dalai Lama said he was very impressed, during his visit to the White House, by George Bush's understanding of Buddhism.

"He is very straightforward," said the the Dalai Lama. "I was astonished by his grasp of Buddhism. He can empty his mind almost at will."



Some time ago, I posted a link to a falling lady toy.

Now I find there's an improved male version. If he gets stuck, you can help him along with your mouse.

Blogger Hotboy said...

Adolf! Heil! I'm not falling for that one! You move in a simple flow from anxiety to comfort then into sexual perversion. I know if I clicky on the last stuff, tomorrow and for days thereafter banana men will pursue me with .... well, giant bananas! So that's not much help! Hotboy p.s.On this end of the Unheard of Island, we stopped doing politics ages ago! Disengage from the worrisome. Leave that to the young people who have something to worry about alright!  

~

Blogger Lee Ann said...

Oh that was just as much fun as it was the first time!
I am with you on blogging. I have been trying to keep up with it, but I am not too motivated lately.
I hope you are having a great week Rob!
~xo  

~

Blogger onan the bavarian said...

HB - if only they would wait till we're dead before breaking everything. But I'm too fortunate to die. Dearie dearie me.

LA - always good to have you visit.  

~

Blogger Kelly said...

The government frustrates me. I understand about being overwhelmed by work and real life. January- May is my busiest time at work.  

~

Blogger Lee Ann said...

Hello sweet Rob!
Have a great weekend!
~xo  

~

Blogger keda said...

ooof thank god i didn't come round here earlier or i'd have pissed off at the state of the world even sooner!

grrrrrrr..  

~

Post a Comment




Who Links Here
Who Links Here (short form)

Where people click from:
Locations of visitors to this page