open text

27 July 2006 at 17:00

HNT turnip head

I dredged the archives of my life for another vegetarian HNT clicky pic.

While growing up I didn't often see the humorous side of my father, mainly because of the hostilities between us. But towards the end of his life we called a ceasefire, and I visited him at his wee island cottage.

Every evening he went out to the pub, while I would stay at his place until he returned after closing time. On Halloween, he disappeared to the pub as usual. Late that night, I was sitting watching TV when the electricity suddenly went off, the door opened slowly, and a turnip lantern appeared in the doorway, going "woooo" and swaying unsteadily in mid-air.

In some countries I believe it would have been a hollowed-out pumpkin, but in Scotland the tradition is to use a turnip instead. Cheaper too. You put a candle inside, and the light shines out through the eyes and mouth.

I enjoyed my father's little joke, and next day I insisted we take a photo. You can used to be able to click on the pic to zoom out and see the family resemblance.




I regret my old man didn't live long enough to see all the letters after my name. Rob McJ, H.N.T., O.C.D., N.P.D. and R.D.D.

HNT_1

If you missed previous HNTs, you can access all the old half baked thursday posts here.

Blogger Di said...

Thanks for sharing! HHNT  

~

Blogger Suze said...

Rob, that is a sweet story. I rememeber sitting carving out turnips when I was younger.

Did you eat the raw turnip you extracted? I did, no wonder I was so windy for days after. LOL

Happy HNT sweetie ;)  

~

Blogger Sexy Duet said...

I knew there had to be something better to do with turnips then eating them - great story!
Happy HNT

Ms SD  

~

Blogger Leesa said...

What a neat post :) HHNT!  

~

Blogger Lelly said...

Lovely story and pics Rob. HHNT! (Too busy to post or visit blogchums regularly at the moment, but like to keep an eye on my favourites...and yes, I will be copying and pasting this comment, well apart from the reference to 'Rob'!)  

~

Blogger Hotboy said...

Adolf! Zeig! The tumshie looks as if it's been tortured and forced to confess! Was it a relative of the swede who got to the quarter final? Anyway, your dad must have a real barrel of laughs, eh? Going to the pub every night would have helped! Hotboy  

~

Blogger lime said...

oh i've heard of hollowed out turnips but never seen one. fun shot ! thank you for sharing it and the story as well. HHNT  

~

Blogger Cindy said...

Aw, what a sweet tribute.

Happy HNT!  

~

Blogger Brown eyed girl said...

Oh, I love this picture of you and your dad.

I love that your dad had such a great sense of humor....woooooo

Thanks for sharing Rob. Oh, I have some of those letters after my name too!

Happy HNT!  

~

Blogger keda said...

brilliant! what a lovely post. and the resemblance is uncanny ;)
happy hnt babe.  

~

Blogger onan the bavarian said...

Lelly - "...and yes, I will be copying and pasting this comment" - I know, I already recognised your comment from Lecram's place. Nothing wrong with that. Some of us (not me) have real jobs so we have to streamline our blogging. Hope things settle down some time so you can blog some more.

Suze - I am still experiencing the after-effects of eating raw turnip then.

LA - we should set up an Institute of OCD, to regulate the award of qualifications.  

~

Blogger the prof said...

Hpt Boy, what is a tumshie please?  

~

Blogger zomba said...

I say!

The likeness between the three of you is uncanny.

Unfortunately, Cabbage's turnip seeds failed again, this year.

MM III  

~

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your website. It has a lot of great pictures and is very informative.
»  

~

Post a Comment




Who Links Here
Who Links Here (short form)

Where people click from:
Locations of visitors to this page