open text

15 August 2006 at 20:23

HNT both ends of the short straw

Ever since the dawn of time, when war happens, it's the young people who join the military, while the old and feeble stay safe at home and watch the whole thing on TV.

I know Americans and Australians who were the right age to be called up in the 60s for the Vietnam war. And when I was a kid, we had to go to school in military uniform every Monday, and march around a parade ground for hours. We were told that if there was ever a war, we would be called up first.


From my large collection of
embarrassing photos.
Beat that Keda if you can!


Then as we grew older, people of my generation began looking forward to one of the perks of age - the right to wave off the next generation of young cannon fodder, and thank them for their sacrifice.

So I think it's bloody unfair that, just as I have finally become too decrepit to ever fight for my country, the whole deal has changed.

For one thing, the military would collapse if it had to call up people of fighting age - they're all too fat or surly or drug-ridden. Or they're too busy harming themselves to ever harm an enemy.

Also, the whole nature of war has changed, and we're all collateral damage now. Whose idea was that? I didn't agree to it. Bang (literally) goes my cosy retirement. What a swindle!

Next month I'll be taking a 23-hour flight to the old country via Heathrow, but my enjoyment of the in-flight movie might be spoiled by the thought that at any moment the plane could disintegrate. I may suddenly find myself gasping in the stratosphere at minus 50°, hurtling into the ocean, or plummeting towards Afghanistan. If I'm lucky, I may still be strapped to my seat. At least that should help absorb the impact.

To distract myself, I may have to take advantage of the 23 hours of free booze. What a fortunate creature I'll be!

HNT_1

Blogger Hotboy said...

Adolf! Heil! Are you sure they had teevee at the dawn of time? I'm sure it started with Moses and Charlton Heston. Also, you not knowing the geocities stuff ... well, I'm shocked. No wonder nobody gave you a PhD! And flying? Are you mad? Why can't you take a boat like Captain Cook? Buy a microlight and do it yourself. That would help! Hotboy  

~

Blogger lecram sinun said...

Go for the booze! I was on a plane once between Hawaii and Hong Kong with a group of Texas oil men... they drank the plane empty. The stop in Hong Kong lasted an extra hour just for restocking purposes.  

~

Blogger Lee Ann said...

Happy Wednesday, love me and the margaritas... sweet dreams!

sorry sweetie, will have to come back later!  

~

Blogger Sexy Duet said...

Alcohol was the only thing that kept me sane on the flight from Australia to the US, dont know what I would have done without it.
Happy HNT!

Ms SD  

~

Blogger onan the bavarian said...

Lee Ann, are you plastered? Have one for me.  

~

Blogger Di said...

Have a good trip and HHNT!  

~

Blogger WDKY said...

Good point... what was Lee Ann on, do you think? :-)

Anyway, very nice photo, and I agree... just get pissed. Happy HNT!  

~

Blogger lime said...

that's a bloody long flight. best wishes. will you be lapping the booze out of that dog bowl of yours?

HHNT  

~

Blogger Suze said...

Don't forget to stop off by my house on your way up there. If you bring the uniform too...well!

Happy HNT sweetie ;)  

~

Blogger Schadeboy said...

23 hours on a plane? Holy Flightplan, that's a long time! Hope there's no snakes.

Happy HNT!  

~

Blogger keda said...

good god man are you insane?? do you know what drinking on planes does to your skin???? and they won't allow you to carry on moisturisers either now. or even a good book..
oh bugger. i forgot. you dont do metrosexual and after that picture i guess a few wrinkles aren't likely to bother you either. and if there's to be no reading you may as well pop something, get wasted and snooze.

as for bettering that picture i don't think it can be done honestly. but i think my stories suffice anyway no? i will of course keep looking diligently. and send/post as soon as i come up with something better than dancing with invisiboy.  

~

Blogger Leesa said...

Great pic:)
Free Booze? Yay!
HHNT!  

~

Blogger S said...

Well yes, every Navy guy needs the mandatory shot of him in his uniform, looking too skinny and needing some chipped beef on toast....(not using the other name for it)

....HHNT  

~

Blogger T - Another Geek Girl said...

You know i just love a man in uniform. And out of it too.

More
More
More!!!  

~

Blogger Aisha T. said...

Wow, you had to go to school with a military uniform?! and I thought Catholic school was bad. I didn't have to wear a uniform. Safe travels and don't get too blitzed!  

~

Blogger Brown eyed girl said...

Hey Rob! I see I made it over here last night! Sorry!
...one too many margaritas!

Are you going to be traveling all by yourself, or will you have a friend with you? I hope it is a good flight.
...have one too many!!!!

You are adorable in the picture, soooo cute!

I have my kitty up this week (at this site ~click my name)

Happy HNT!  

~

Blogger onan the bavarian said...

keda - I don't need moisturiser. Remember? I always carry a supply of urea. But of course I'll be skipping the booze, and

asking them to make green tea. Your stories are always good reading.

suze - don't get sucked into the engines as I fly over you.

Schadeboy - if only snakes were the only worry.

lee ann- no apology necessary. Hotboy comments all the time while blootered. Always nice to see you. And I'll visit your other site right after this. Yes, I'll be travelling myself. My favourite way.

barefoot - say no more, I read ya.  

~

Blogger Cindy said...

Wait, so you went to military school and didn't grow up to be some war monger? Good job, kid!  

~

Blogger zomba said...

I say Dear Pea!

Lecram Sinun is surely an acronym?

How wonderful it is for you to have so many blogfriends.

I've been trying out this new fangled MySpace, but so far, I have only two friends. One is the nice chap Tom who helps people with MySpace, and the other is a relative of mine in the Danny Cockroach band. Since joining, ever so many questionable young girls have requested to be my friends, but I have deleted every one of them. I have changed my profile to read that I am 99 years old, ad I hope this will put them off.

One has to keep up to date.

Perhaps Blogger is only for old timers like HotBoy etc?

I also believe that Lee Ann was on the juice when she wrote "Happy Wednesday, love me and the margaritas... sweet dreams!"

MM III  

~

Blogger zomba said...

I say!

correct location.

MM III  

~

Post a Comment




Who Links Here
Who Links Here (short form)

Where people click from:
Locations of visitors to this page