open text

03 February 2007 at 12:47

someone else's school story

As any blogger knows, one of the joys of blogging is the feedback you sometimes get.

Last year I did a post about my old school teacher, an ex-paratrooper. The only lesson I learned from him was "how to perform a parachute jump". Standing on his desk, he spread out his black gown to simulate a parachute, then jumped off, to land on the floor in the correct attitude, feet-together, collapsing and rolling across the floor to absorb the impact.

This Scots guy, Ronald McPhee, read my post, and left a comment:

Aye that made you sit up and take notice eh! Unfortunatly this isnae an auld school pal waanting tae make contact. In browsing through your school photographs though, I read your item on Lachie Roberton which had me laughing my heid aff, just thinking of him jumping aff his desk wae his cloak spread aroon him makes me think how they dont make teachers like that anymer, am I right?

At my ain less prostigious (see whit I mean?) school, we had a PE teacher named Mr Milne who must have been in the Air force or whitever. Anyway when we were oot taking exercise by running roon the tenement blocks he'd devide us intae odds and evens, and whenever a pretend enemy plane dived upoan us tae shoot us aw doon (he'd call oot the warning) we had tae dive separate ways to escape being shot, nae doubt he wiz reliving his probably frustrated adventures in the forces. We had smashing fun acting this oot though, better than maths any day.

Anyway Rob your wee story made me laugh so I thought I'd let you know.

Nae need for a reply.

Ronnie.


Nice guy. And with a strong sense of the class divide, like most Scots.





Then someone left a brief comment at YouTube on my Ball Control video:

"Amazing!"


And there was an encouraging comment at YouTube on my educational Evaporation and Condensation video:

"what a load of pish"


Now that Youtube is distributing royalties to every uploader, the cash will start rolling in any day now.

Sources acknowledged.

Blogger Hotboy said...

Adolf! Heil! The parachute jumper story has fair inspired myself! Also, folk forget most of their lives. So I started doing headstands in front of kids, going into the lotus upside down, and then sitting down in a lotus. This is a shocker! Unfortunately, since I pranged my knee a year ago, I have not been able to do this easily, and so the wee basturns are stuck with the instant amnesia, as usual! I hoped it would help! Hotboy  

~

Blogger keda said...

that was fabulous. all of it. even the pish.  

~

Blogger keda said...

ooh and we had a teacher sorta like the parachute bloke. ours was a history teacher who wore old metal army helmets and goose stepped around the class smacking you on the back of the head with a ruler.
well me anyway.  

~

Blogger onan the bavarian said...

keda - you're too kind. What was the educational theory behind using the helmet? The ruler I can understand.  

~

Post a Comment




Who Links Here
Who Links Here (short form)

Where people click from:
Locations of visitors to this page