open text

24 May 2006 at 19:37

HNT edinburgh interviews

A couple of years ago I visited Scotland, and caught up with my old college friend Hotboy, nowadays better known as the author of Ra Bliss Code. We had a video camera running while we were talking, so we interviewed each other. When Lee Ann recently asked "do you and Hotboy sound the same?" I agreed to stick the video in this post.

I haven't had time to do subtitles, but the audio is pretty clear so you shouldn't have any problems. Let me know if there's a word you don't understand.

If you're not particularly interested in hearing what a couple of middle-aged Scottish underachievers have to say about life, bliss, childhood trauma and the class system, skip the videos.

Each video lasts about 2 minutes, and is available in high quality for broadband users, and low quality for dialup.



Hotboy interviewed for broadband


Hotboy interviewed for dialup


Rob interviewed for broadband


Rob interviewed for dialup


I don't usually show my face on this blog, for security purposes, and for tax reasons. So I'll probably delete this post before next week. Possibly sooner, if hotboy's publishers get wind of this.


HNT_1

If you missed previous HNTs, you can access all the old half baked thursday posts here.

Blogger keda said...

its so fuckin late here its actually not funny, but i had to do those both 3 times each and i've still forgotten what i wanted to say other than.....

youy boys have NO BLOODY IDEA how yummy it is for a celtic lass to watch two middle aged scotts discuss nonsense over guiness and weed and try to decifer the nonsense from the crap.

i totally agree on point number 2. and i so wnt to get more cheerful. so GO hotboy. but what about truths no. 3 & 4??? i hardly undrstood a thing of what you said dear boy. but thenm you werent lookin at the camera....
and i'm slightly wasted now so i'll try again on the moro.

love it though. GREAT hnt.
night hons*  

~

Blogger lecram sinun said...

Aye... it be good. Huh? Cheers and Happy HNT!  

~

Blogger Lee Ann said...

I absolutely love it! You both are sooooo adorable.
I have to say I understand you better than Hotboy. I think subtitles would be a big help. I really thought I would not need them when I saw that you had written that.
I wish I could do that for everyone. There are several people that have asked how southern I sound. Is it hard to do?
Thank you for doing this, I love both of your accents.
What is that stuff that Hotboy is smoking? *giggle*
Oh, was that a sample of the beer you guys have over there?
Love you both!
I think I will come back over and listen to this often. I want to know what you guys were saying :)  

~

Blogger onan the bavarian said...

You guys don't know what this means to me. In accepting this award on behalf of hotboy and myself, I'd like to thank hotboy's partner, "Domestic Bliss," for having the good sense to leave the room and let us get on with filming the verbiage.  

~

Blogger WDKY said...

Brilliant idea. And I must admit I'd quite like to be sitting smoking weed and discussing the Noble Truths right now. That's some accent Hotboy has, by the way. He sounds a bit like one of those Scots that even other Scots have trouble understanding :-)

Happy HNT!  

~

Blogger Lelly said...

You hardly got a wurrrd in edgeways Rob!...but very nice to see and hear the both of youse! HHNT!  

~

Blogger Suze said...

Well, was he as smacked off his tits as he sounded?

Happy HNT sweetie ;)  

~

Blogger Hotboy said...

Adolf! Zeig! Just saw one of the videos. Even I couldn't understand a word of it! I'll have to do a sober one next time! That would help. Hotboy  

~

Blogger lime said...

lol, you guys are a hoot. but hotboy barely let you get a word in edgewise! happy HNT!  

~

Blogger onan the bavarian said...

I'm amazed how many of you chaps picked up that hotboy was talking about the 4 Noble Truths (I always thought he was saying Normal Truths). Are buddhists over-represented in blogland? Maybe that's another normal truth. I feel a research application coming on.

Suze - I'd rather not say.

Lelly & Lime - nowadays I think they call it being conversationally gifted.

Lee Ann - you can do interview videos with any video camera or most digital still cameras, then compress it and upload to google video or you tube or similar. I'll be happy to help if you ever do it. The hardest part is finding people who can forget the camera and just talk. Hotboy's a natural.  

~

Blogger Hotboy said...

Adolf! Heil! Just managed to download the second one. Dearie me! Thank God I gave up beer this morning! I could hear myself mostly on the second one. It didn't help! Hotboy p.s. just off for some root canal work. I probably deserve it!  

~

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not enough you talking! And even though I only understood, like, maybe an eighth of what was said, I could listen all day long. Won't one (or both!) of you record a nice long book-on-tape for me to go to sleep to?

And heh. Tartan monk's robes. Nice! HHNT!  

~

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, and if I can leave up my face pics this week, can't you leave yours up a while at least?  

~

Blogger S said...

LOL HHNT Too funny  

~

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well I'm sooo glad I got to see it before you deleted the pics :)
Great HNT dear and thank you soooo much for all your kind words!
~B  

~

Blogger zomba said...

Well I say!

How enjoyable to see both yourself and Hotboy on film. Bravo to UnHeard of Films for this production.

Many is the time I have listened to Hotboy expound on the Four Noble Truths, but, to be honest, by the time he has reached the fourth one, one tends to have forgotten what the first three were.

I am very much looking forwards to seeing him once more, and I hope to be able to film him en situ, at his hut.

MM III  

~

Blogger Lil Bit said...

LOL!
In the words of HotBoy...
Oh me, oh me, oh me, oh me, oh me...

uh, WTF?
This Southern American gal didn't get nary a wurrrrrrd of that. Huh? Say what? ;)
Maybe I just need to be high. LOL

Next time, speak up Rob! I couldn't actually understand what few words you said.

HHNT and a belated HHNA! =)  

~

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dammit, my speaker(s) on the PC are stoopid.... I'll be back with my laptop!!  

~

Blogger onan the bavarian said...

What a great party this has been. Shall we all do it again another Thursday? Next week my mother's invited.

Addict - don't blame your speakers, it's us.

Lil Bit - that's the first time anyone's accused me of being harder to understand than hotboy.

Orchid - fair point about leaving the face pics up, though your own face is more deserving.

HB - D'ya hear what Lime and Lelly and Lil Bit said? (What's with all the L's- is that Lee Ann projecting her mind-waves again?) I'm coming back in 2007, with a loud hailer and a six-pack of 1%.

MM- I'm glad you managed to find an internet caff wherever you are now.  

~

Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL ... great job

HHNT  

~

Blogger AndyT13 said...

HHNT!  

~

Blogger Sexy Duet said...

Loved the videos, Happy HNT!  

~

Blogger Lil Bit said...

I'm an idiot.
I typed "couldn't" when I meant "could". sheesh.

And most def, another Thurs... Moms are welcome! (except mine. lol) =)  

~

Blogger onan the bavarian said...

Lil - thanks for the clarification, I like version 2 of your comment better. Have a good weekend.  

~

Blogger Lee Ann said...

haha....I told you that I have that special thing that I can read a person's mind on occasion. Well, I can also send thoughts to people!
::wink::  

~

Post a Comment




Who Links Here
Who Links Here (short form)

Where people click from:
Locations of visitors to this page